Situational dialogue refers to a two-person role play where the characters have to perform some routine activity. It includes a preprinted text that can be used to develop and enhance oral proficiency as well as the listening skills of learners in the classroom. Dialogue refers to ‘talk between two people’ and situational conversation dialogues is a tool that improves our communication skills. It helps broaden our imagination as well as our dramatic power.
Dialogues can be formal or informal depending on the situation:
Formal dialogues include conversations or interactions with highly positioned people, people in authority, seniors, and strangers. They are mostly used in these kinds of formal situations.
Informal dialogues include a conversation with close friends, neighbors, relatives, colleagues, and the like.
The importance of situational conversation dialogues for learning English speaking and listening include the following:
- Problem Analysis: It helps in analyzing a problem from various perspectives.
- Various Solutions: It allows for the trial and execution of various solutions in a case scenario.
- Brainstorming: It also encourages the implementation of brainstorming methodology during real case simulations.
- Teamwork Development: It also develops skills of cooperation, creativity, and problem-solving in groups thereby building teamwork.
- Creative Techniques: It also encourages the development and implementation of creative techniques in a risk-free environment.
Through the use of dialogue, teachers can engage students in the following ways:
- It can help teachers in explaining ideas more clearly.
- It allows the teacher to clarify the main purpose and point of activities.
- It allows the teacher to discover and implement innovative and scientific ways of using language.
- It also enables students to become aware of new scientific ways of describing phenomena.
In this method, the teacher and students convert learning into a collaborative process so that the environment can be more stimulating and learners can learn with more efficiency. It mainly relies on the task of talking involving both the students as well as the teacher.