Back to: Educational Studies UGC NET – Unit 1
What are the Main approaches to sociology of education With Educational Implications ?
Education is necessary for every individual in life. It helps one in adopting acceptable behaviour and understanding their role in the society. It is through education that an individual learns discipline and the basic etiquette needed to behave as a responsible citizen of the society. The values, beliefs, culture, religion, etc that have been followed since generations are transmitted to the next through education.
Sociology of Education
Sociology as an education studies humans and the various activities done in society. It studies human interaction and human relations. The most essential function of education is socialization. The process of socialization is the process of education. Socialization makes an individual ready for the world and helps in one’s personal growth.
Through socialization, individuals will understand and adopt different feelings of emotions. People will treat each other with respect and listen to one another with compassion and empathy. It will prepare an individual to communicate properly with a person or a large group and behave acceptably.
Approaches of Sociological Education
Consists of (a) socialization, (b) social integration, (c) social placement, and (d) social and cultural innovation. This theory focuses on socialization to fulfill society’s several needs. It deals with teaching the values, norms, and beliefs to children.
2). Conflict theory
It focuses on social inequality which causes conflict in society. This theory views society in constant conflict due to differences in learning conditions which leads to social inequality.
3). Symbolic interactionism
This theory focuses on social interaction inside and outside the classroom. Social interaction in schools widely impacts the development of children. It also deals with the teacher’s expectations on the students abilities and their influence on the student’s performance.
Educational Implications of Sociology of Education
- i). It helps in Instilling discipline and obedience in humans.
- ii). It helps individuals to realize their interests and work towards it. Socializing will bring a sense of happiness in people and improve their well-being.
- iii). It makes humans understand the societal norms and be aware of society’s expectations from them.
- iv). It helps in transmitting knowledge, values, culture, traditions, etc to the next generation and so on.
- v). Sociology of education Develops positive intentions and proper behaviour in children.
- vi). It fosters moral and ethical values in the children for the welfare of the society.
- vii). It helps individuals in understanding their roles and responsibilities in the society.
- viii). It makes individuals independent and be able to take risks.
- ix). Sociology of Education enables individuals to make decisions and solve problems on their own.
- x). It helps in making an individual self sufficient and self dependent.
- xi). Enable humans to become more creative and innovative, invent new things and ways of doing things.
- xii). Sharpen the knowledge and skills among the youth.
- xiii). Change the attitude, mindset, thinking, and lifestyle of people with time.
Socializing is crucial for the existence of society. For society to exist, socialization is necessary. Socialization enables individuals to understand society’s expectations from them and their roles in society. Socialization will help society and people in the development of each other. Education helps to change the outlook of people and bring the necessary social change. Through education, there is direction for positive change and development.