According to the International Encyclopedia of teaching and teacher education (1987), the pre-service and in-service components of teacher education are complementary to each other. Teacher education refers to empowering learning platforms for the teachers for an efficient way of teaching.
“Teacher is the most important element in any educational program,”
the establishment of quality education is determined by the determination of a teacher. The teachers are required to acquire adequate knowledge, skills, interest, and the right attitude towards the teaching profession. Their work has been more complex regarding new theories of psychology, philosophy, sociology, modern media, and materials. Therefore teacher education is a program that enables the teachers to be well equipped for their profession.
The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) is a council of the Government of India to assist and advise to make policies and programs on the standard of educational level in schools.
Objectives of NCERT
- It works as a Nodal Agency for Universalization of Education because it is the fundamental right of everyone to attain basic education.
- It works as an implementation agency for bilateral Cultural exchange programs with other nations at the school level.
Functions of NCERT
The important roles and functions of NCERT in teacher education are as follows:
- To monitor the administration of regional courses and NIE of education.
- To prepare and publish study material for students and related teacher’s handbooks.
- To organize in-service and pre-service training of teachers, teacher educators, and other educational personnel.
- To conduct and promote educational research.
- To disseminate improved educational practices, techniques, and research findings.
- To search for students who deserve to be awarded scholarships in science, social sciences, and technology.
- To develop curriculum, instructional methods, evaluation techniques, teaching methods, learning resources, teaching aids, kits, equipment, and the like.
- It focuses on research in school education
- It publishes new content and books of the school level.
- It provided pre-service training to the teachers.
- It enhances and inspires motivational levels among students and teachers.
- It connects and maintains the connection of academic bodies with state-level educational bodies.
- It coordinates online courses such as SWAYAM, My Pathshala, etc.
Roles and Functions of NCTE in Teacher Education
The NCTE formulated standards and norms for twelve teacher education courses. The important roles and functions of NCTE in teacher education are as follows:
- To make recommendations to the center and state government Universities, UGC, and other institutions in preparing plans and programs in the field of teacher education.
- To coordinate and monitor the development of teacher education in the country.
- To recommend the government to ensure adequate standards in teacher education.
- To give approval to teacher education institutions.
- To enforce accountability of teacher development programs in the country.
- To prepare a program for in-service teacher education to orient teachers for the latest development.
- To develop a guideline for a general teacher education program.
W.H. Kilpatrick states,
“Teacher education encompasses teaching skills, sound pedagogical theory, and professional skills.”
Teacher education can be regarded as a continuous process and it is broad and comprehensive.