Guidance and Counselling
The guidance refers to the advice given by an experienced person to solve a problem. It is the advice or solutions given by experts or superiors to an individual to overcome a difficult situation. Counseling is the advice or help given by a professional counselor to a counselee to help them overcome their personal or psychological difficulties.
Nature and Characteristics of Guidance and Counselling
- It helps individuals to recognize their potential and enhance it.
- It helps individuals to have a better understanding of the world around them, process the realities of the world, and have a more realistic perception of the same.
- It helps individuals to solve problems related to the vocational, personal, and educational aspects of their life effectively.
- It helps individuals to become responsible members of the society and to contribute their best for the growth of the society.
- It helps individuals to be aware that life is difficult for everyone and enables them to live a balanced life free of tension and stress.
- When individuals have various alternatives, guidance and counselling helps them to make the best decision.
- In life, changes are inevitable and guidance and counselling helps individuals to adapt and adjust to new changes in their life.
- It helps individuals to get a better understanding of the self by enabling them to learn more about their interests, abilities, intelligence levels, and more.
- It prepares individuals for the world of work by giving them accurate and helpful information about the working front.
- It enables people to have the ability and means to fulfil their needs in an effective manner.