Adolescence refers to the period during which a child turns into an adult. It is the period between childhood and adulthood. According to Steinberg,
“Adolescence is a dynamically evolving theoretical construct informed through physiologic, psychosocial, temporal and cultural lenses.”
Characteristics of Adolescence
The characteristics of the adolescence stage of development are as follows.
- Adolescence is a period of rapid biological and physical changes. These changes may leave the adolescents feeling confused.
- Adolescents go through a state of role confusion because adolescence is a period in which they can neither be termed a child nor an adult.
- During adolescence, adolescents start becoming conscious about their physical appearance due to their rapid physical changes.
- The physical changes in both girls and boys develops a feeling of attraction towards the opposite sex during adolescence.
- During adolescence, adolescents also start developing cognitively and start attaining maturity.
- Adolescence is the period when individuals start becoming career conscious and focus on their careers.
- Adolescence is a period of identity crisis and identity search. Adolescents aim to have individuality and develop their identity.
- Imagination is heightened during adolescence due to which the aims set by adolescents tend to be more idealistic than realistic.
- Adolescence is also a period of hero worship. They tend to look up to someone who inspires them.
- During the adolescence period, adolescents exhibit high moral values and participate in social services.