Back to: Sociological Foundation of Education Unit 2
What are the Relationship between the School and Community?
School and community are both an essential part of a society. School is a subsystem of the larger system of the society. It is beneficial for schools to have community support.Community is a group of individuals connected to one another with similar interests. A community brings people together to advocate and support each other in times of difficulty. The element that links them together is at the core, and is the essence of the group.Communities are also rich in resources, that is where their collective aspect comes into play.
Relationship between the School and Community
Schools and communities need to work side by side to engage families in meaningful and culturally appropriate ways so that families take initiative to actively support their children’s development and learning.
- i. Community helps in the development of a school. It provides the basic infrastructure and a positive environment for the growth and development of a school.
- ii. Community provides the essential elements needed in a school like students, teachers, faculty, land and donations. It improves school leadership and staffing.
- iii. It promotes learning and social development work among its members. It provides higher quality learning programs for students.
- iv. Community in school provides child care facilities, after-school programs, mentoring, mental and physical health providers. It provides resources for after-school programs and family supports.
- v. Gives assistance in the construction of classrooms, libraries, and laboratories. It upgradesthe school facilities and provides new resources to improve teaching and curriculum.
- vi. Community improves academic engagement and decreases the school dropout rate. It helps in motivating its members which increases the attendance and enrolment of the students in school.
- vii. Community takes the responsibility of maintaining discipline and decorum in the school. It also deals with managing the timetable of the schools with regards to the needs of the community.
- viii. Community also provides financial support or donations to educational institutions. The financial help provided is used for educational purposes to improve the quality of education.
How to Involve community with School Activities
- i. Value of learning.
- ii. Family togetherness.
- iii. Ownership of the school.
- iv. Lifelong learning.
Hence, community is helpful for school in many ways for the educational development of its members. It can be understood that both community and school are closely related and interconnected for a greater achievement of the society which is creation of a learning society.