Back to: Sociological Foundation of Education Unit 2
Identify and discuss the relationship that exist between education and society?
John Dewey stated, “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” Education has become a necessity in every individual’s life. Education is an important tool in the growth and development of a person. Without education, one would not be the person they grow up to become. It helps one in adopting acceptable behaviour and understanding their role in the society. One brings positive changes in themselves and the society by the education they receive. It is through education that an individual learns discipline and the basic etiquette needed to behave as a responsible citizen of the society. The values, beliefs, culture, religion, etc that have been followed since generations are transmitted to the next through education.
Social Aim of Education
The main aim of education is the progress of society with time. Social aims of education gives importance to the development and needs of society. Education exists for society and the welfare of it. It makes the new generation familiar with the values, customs, beliefs, traditions, norms, behaviour patterns, etc followed since ages in the society.
In the social aim of education, emphasis is attached to the welfare and growth of society. Humans work towards achieving the goals of the society and making it as desired. Society plays a significant role in the development of an individual. If there is no development of society, there is no development of humans as well. Therefore, the development of society is necessary for the development of humans.
Relationship between Education and Society
- i). Education is a powerful tool of social change. The necessary changes in the world are brought about through the existence of education.
- ii). Education helps in transmitting the knowledge, skills, beliefs, values, culture, religion, norms, and language followed from generations to the next.
- iii). Education helps an individual in understanding their roles and responsibilities in the society.
- iv). Education sharpens the creativity power of humans which makes them innovative leading to invention of modern technologies and helping in the advancement of society.
- v). Education helps to get rid of inequality, discrimination, injustice and poverty in society.
- vi). Education teaches to treat everyone equally and give equal opportunities to everyone irrespective of caste, creed, colour, sex, religion, etc.
Education is a social necessity. It helps towards the development of society. Every society has its own way of living and practising things and one is able to learn their way of functioning in the society through education. This way the succeeding generations will be able to adopt the customs and values of their society and make it a part of their everyday life.Furthermore, education helps society and people in the development of each other.