Back to: Sociological Foundation of Education Unit 2
Role and Importance of Community in Education System
Community is a group of individuals connected to one another with similar interests. A community brings people together to advocate and support each other in times of difficulty.The element that links them together is at the core, and is the essence of the group.Communities are also rich in resources, that is where their collective aspect comes into play.
Role of Community in Education System
- i. The biggest role of community in education is it helps in the development of a school.
- ii. It provides the basic infrastructure and a positive environment for the growth and development of a school.
- iii. It provides the essential elements needed in a school like students, teachers, faculty, land and donations.
- iv. Promote learning and social development work among its members.
- v. Gives assistance in the construction of classrooms, libraries, and laboratories.
- vi. It improves academic engagement and decreases the school dropout rate.
Importance of Community in Education System
Community helps in motivating its members which increases the attendance and enrolment of the students in school.
Provides physical facilities
Community provides physical facilities like infrastructure, teachers, teaching instruments,and other elements necessary for quality education.
Maintaining good atmosphere in school
Community takes the responsibility of maintaining discipline and decorum in the school. It also deals with managing the timetable of the schools with regards to the needs of the community.
Community also provides financial support or donations to educational institutions. The financial help provided is used for educational purposes to improve the quality of education.
Providing media of informal education
Community seeks for the all-round development of its members in the school which is achieved through its informal agencies like libraries, museums, art galleries, music drama centres and many more.
Therefore, community is helpful for school in many ways for the educational development of its members. It can be understood that both community and school are closely related and interconnected for a greater achievement of the society which is creation of a learning society.