Micro Teaching is an innovative technique of conducting class for a small group of students by the teacher to prepare him/her for the profession. This enables an individual to acquire teaching skills and certain behavior needed for one to become a teacher. It will help the teachers to gain confidence in their teaching techniques. They will get an understanding of what works and what doesn’t in their teaching methods. It will allow the teachers to correct their mistakes and improve their teaching techniques to provide an effective learning experience to the students.
Objectives of Micro-Teaching
- To enable trainees to acquire skills and behavior needed for being a teacher.
- To come up with innovative teaching methods to provide a satisfactory learning experience to the students.
- To gain self-confidence and increase trainees’ passion in the profession.
- To develop core teaching skills in the trainees for effective teaching.
- To help trainees acquire various teaching skills and enable them to keep improving the teaching methods.
Characteristics of Micro-Teaching
- Duration of teaching is short with less teaching content.
- Only one teaching skill is considered at a time.
- Teaching a small group of students.
- All the mistakes done by the trainees are observed.
- Immediate feedback is given to the trainees for improvement.
- It is an artificial situation.
Microteaching can be very helpful for teachers to help them in their professional growth and personal development. They will be able to acquire the necessary skills and attitudes for becoming a teacher. The teaching process of the teachers will also improve through this training and will provide an effective learning experience to the students.