Distance learning is a form of online learning. All the learnings are done away from school or college. Students are not required to go to school/college regularly and attend classes physically. There is no interaction or face-to-face communication between the teachers and students. Students depend on the internet for their learning materials instead of the teacher. Students educate themselves with the help of the internet.
Conventional learning is the learning done by going to school and being physically present in class. There is proper interaction and face-to-face communication between the teachers and students. Teachers guide the students throughout the learning process. Instructors are the main source for providing knowledge to the students in conventional learning.
Difference between Distance Learning and Conventional Learning
Following are the main differences between Distance Learning and Conventional Learning:
- In distance learning, the classes happen online without learners having to be present at a particular location whereas conventional learning happens offline and students are supposed to be present in class physically.
- Distance learning is a flexible form of learning with no specific location or time for students whereas in conventional learning students have to compulsory be present at a particular location and time at school.
- In distance, learning the internet is the primary source for students to gain knowledge whereas in conventional learning students acquire knowledge by the information provided by teachers.
- There is no interaction between teachers and students, and students and students in distance learning whereas there is a free flow of communication between teachers and students, and students and students in conventional learning.
- Distance learning is a free form of learning with no rules for students whereas in conventional learning there are certain rules and regulations that students are expected to follow.
- Conventional learning is an organized form of learning when compared to the distance form of learning.
- Online streaming and live/recorded video lectures are made use of in distance learning whereas the use of textbooks and blackboards is done in conventional learning.
- Timely tests and exams are taken in the conventional form of learning whereas that is not the case in the distance form of learning.
It is difficult to choose which form of learning is better as both come with their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. It is up to an individual as to which form of learning he/she prefers and finds more helpful.