The education system is always driven by the environment provided by society, therefore, education and society are interconnected. Society can never develop without a proper education system as an education system propel children to be a responsible social being.
Meaning of Sociology
Sociology is a branch of education that elaborates on the relationship between men along with the environment. Educational sociology is also a further branch of sociology that explains the meaning and purpose of education through the social perspective.
Sociology is the study of the relationship between men and the environment around them. In 1983, French philosopher Auguste Comte pioneered the relative term sociology for the first time. It was considered a scientific method to study the relationship between society and human beings.
“Sociology is the study of relations between individuals, their conduct and reference to one another, and the standard by which they regulate their association.”E.T. Hiller
“Sociology is the scientific study of the processes of interactions of persons.”Duncan
“Sociology studies plural behaviour.”Moor and Cole
Meaning of Educational Sociology
Educational sociology is a branch of sociology that studies the relationship between education and society along with the environment considering the challenges and benefits of education in building a civil society. Educational sociology renders the instinct to view education from a sociological perspective. Educational sociology studies the principles of sociology applied to education. The father of Educational Sociology is known as E. George Payne.
“All education proceeds by the participation of the individual in the social consciousness of the races.”Brown
“The sociology of education may be defined as a study of relations between education and sociology. Education is an activity that goes on in society, and its aims and method depend on the nature of the society, in which it takes place. “Ottaway’s View
Meaning of Sociology of Education
The sociology of education is the study that highlights the effects of human beings and social institutions on the educational system. It is related to the schools, primary, elementary and higher education. The sociology of education means that the ultimate goal of education is to provide society with equality in every aspect which can be achieved through a proper educational system. For example, a child with a disability, a weaker section child, a deprived adult, and others who want to make an impact in society through education is the prime objective as well as the sociology of education. The father of the Sociology of Education is known as Emile Durkheim and Max Weber.
Nature of Educational Sociology
- Educational Sociology provides the sociology to be applied on the research area of education.
- Educational Sociology is occupied with more practical and experimental learning.
- Educational Sociology tries to render education with more educational techniques, activities, plans, and educational research which can be beneficial for society.
- Educational Sociology tries to overcome the problems and provide alternatives by implementing sociological formulas and rules.
- It focuses on the societal rules which are to be followed in education.
- It has the goal to make further research and advancements in the field of education.
- It is mostly concerned with the application of sociology in the educational field.
Nature of Sociology of Education
- The sociology of Education is the study of the ways public institutes and the environment impact the educational system.
- It impacts education and its outcomes.
- It is mostly concerned with theoretical knowledge and findings.
- It mostly focuses on the outcomes and consequences of the education provided to the people included in education.
- It focuses on the challenges faced in schools, higher education institutes, and others that are believed to be overcome for a better society.
- The sociology of education believes educational institutes as a part of society.
- It is purely concerned with the issue of sociology.
- It has the ultimate goal of building a good and civil society.