Analyse the Scope and Functions of Educational Sociology
According to Brown
“Educational Sociology is the study of the interaction of the individual and his cultural environment including other individuals, social group and pattern of behaviour”.
George Payne said
“Educational sociology is a study that studies how people learn,” describes and explains institutions, social groups, and social processes or social concerns, i.e.the social interaction in which or by which an individual obtains and organises his experiences.”
In the words of Ottaway “Educational sociology may be defined as a study of relations between education and sociology. The education is an activity which goes on in a society, and its aims and method depend on the nature of the society in which it takes place.
Scope of Educational Sociology
The essential parts of educational sociology are as follows:
- i. To look into the relationship between society and education as well as deal with the problems between them.
- ii. The study of social institutions and its influence in the field of education.
- iii. Mutual relation between teacher and the student.
- iv. Dynamic and flexible curriculum to change with the changing social objectives.
- v. The effects social life has on humans and educational institutions.
- vi. Make the curriculum such that it will help in the development of the individual as well as the society.
- vii. Encouraging practical, critical and analytical thinking.
- viii. To investigate means of social progress and social control.
Functions of Educational Sociology
The important functions of educational sociology are the following:
- i. Understand the influence of educational systems in the shaping individuals and society as a whole.
- ii. How educational institutions have an impact on individuals.
- iii. Social and cultural innovation.
- iv. Education as a means of social change and social control.
- v. Lead to the social progress and development.
- vi. Transmit the knowledge, skills, beliefs, values, norms, culture, and religion followed since ages to the next generations.