Digitization refers to the process of creating a digital representation of objects or attributes that are physical. For instance, scanning a document and converting it into a PDF can be referred to as digitization. It is the conversion of a non-digital item into a digital artifact or representation. In simple words, it is the conversion of processes and data.
Digitization has influenced almost all industries in the modern age. From business industries to educational institutions, the impact and influence of digitization cannot be overlooked as it is hugely prevalent. Due to this huge transition brought by the reliance on digital elements and tools, the modern world is often referred to as the ‘digital world’.
Impact of Digitization on Education
The impact of digitization on education in India are as follows:
- Better Opportunities: Through digitization, individuals gain access to a wider variety of tools and better educational opportunities so they do not have to limit their choices.
- Increase Information Sources: Learners have started using the internet to search for answers and solve their queries which is evidence that digitization has yielded various sources of information.
- Digital learning: Due to the advancements in technology, education and learning are no longer limited to textbooks or confined to the four walls of the classroom. Various e-learning platforms facilitate learning from home and various digital devices that facilitate learning.
- Better Teaching Resources: Before digitization took place, teaching materials were limited to the blackboard, chart papers, and other physical materials but nowadays, teachers can use PowerPoint presentations and the like to teach learners.
- High-quality education: In urban areas, the quality of education is much better than in rural areas due to the use of digital tools. Digital tools facilitate the ease of learning which is why it increases the quality of education immediately.
- Source of knowledge: Previously, the main source of knowledge for learners was books. The advent of the internet has changed this scenario because they can Google anything these days and find the answer they are looking for.
- Increased Employment Opportunities: The rise of digitization yields the need to learn new digital skills such as content marketing, graphic designing, and the like which has led to the introduction of a new field of employment opportunities.
According to Rajah Augustinraj, Director, BCG,
“Even in India’s diverse educational system, digital education unlocks immense benefits, numerous use-cases, and creative adaptation for both students and teachers. This is abundantly clear from the extensive data and insights we examined as part of this study.”