Back to: Academic and Professional Writing Unit 2
What are the Main Elements of a Division and Classification Essay?
A division and classification essay as the name suggests is dividing a large subject into smaller ones for a better and clear understanding. It classifies the subject into several subgroups based on their characteristics. A classification essay has three characteristics, i.e., the set, scheme, and classes. The main goal of classification and division essay is to help readers in getting an in-depth understanding of a topic. The purpose is to make the essay more manageable and specific.
Elements of Classification Essay
- • A classification essay emphasises on different items sharing something in common.
- • It breaks the items into categories and classifies them.
- • In classification essay, the members of each class is distinct from the members of another class.
- • Classification focuses on a variety of things that have something in common.
Elements of Division Essay
- • A division essay focuses on one item and divides it into smaller parts.
- • It is divided for making it easier to understand for readers.
- • In division essay, individual parts may be members of more than one subsystem. It breaks one whole item into parts.
- • Division focuses on only one thing and separates that thing into parts or categories for a closer study.
Characteristics of a Classification Essay
A set needs to have common characteristics to be classified. The class must have unique features.
A scheme refers to the quality, standard, category, or function by which the set is divided into categories. This is the principle of selection for separating the set into parts.
A class begins with an explanation of the description, identification features of the members, and differentiates the members of that class from another class.
To conclude, a division and classification essay discrete’s a subject into smaller parts so that the readers get a clear understanding of the topic. This makes the topic simple and easy for the readers helping them to collect the written information accurately without difficulty. It makes working in a subject easier for the writer as well.