Back to: Childhood and Growing Up – Unit 5
Social development in child development means the improvement of the well-being of a child in society in order to enable them to be aware of their potentials and enhance them. Investment in people can be termed as social development. Social development in child development includes their capability to organize their behavior and interact with others. It is the process through which a child acquires the culture and language of the community he or she is raised in.
Definition of Social Development
JE Anderson states,
“Development is concerned with growth as well as those changes in behavior which results from environmental situations”.
Social development is important in child development because it leads to learning. According to E.Hurlock,
“Development is not limited to the growing layer. Instead, it consists of a progressive series of changes towards the goal of maturity”.
In What Ways do Cognitive and Social Development Affect Learning in Education
Social development in child development plays an important role in learning for many reasons which are as follows:
- Social interaction helps children activate their developmental process which would not be possible in isolation.
- Social environment also offers a safe and secure environment to acquire language naturally.
- Social environment also aids in the development of children’s mental abilities so that they can adjust in society.
- Social interaction fosters early cognitive development in children and helps them to be socially active.
- Society plays a crucial role in influencing the development of a child due to which social interaction is necessary.
- Social interaction during child development leads to learning and helps children to grasp information effectively.
- Children learn to express themselves and develop behavioural abilities through social development.
Social development is important in child development because it leads to learning. It prepares the child for building the relationship with society through behaving well, developing the understanding, and enacting for the welfare of the society.