Computer Based Testing Innovations in Evaluation Systems UGC NET
“Evaluation is the systematic collection and inter- pretation of evidence leading as a part of process to a judgement of value with a view to action.”
Diagnostic evaluation is a type of pre-assessment which allows teachers to assess the strengths, weaknesses, knowledge, and skills of the learners before starting the teaching learning process. Prognostic evaluation refers to the assessment that includes the prediction of a learner’s future career through the means of estimation.
The National Curriculum Framework for Teacher Education emphasises upon the need for improved evaluation of teachers. It lays specific stress on the continuous assessment of pre- service teacher trainees through the use of both qualitative and quantitative measures. With the support of agencies such as the National University of Educational Planning and Administration (NUEPA), the National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT), and bilateral agencies like Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD) working with UNICEF, the government has been taking small initiatives through the creation of national tools to facilitate the process of evaluation and make it effective.
Computer based testing is considered to be an, “innovative approaches to assessments most pursued by states.” In terms of mass education evaluation, it is considered to be an effective solution. It involves paper less feedback, interactive activities, and multimedia tools.
There are two types of CBT:
1. Offline CBT testing is assigned manually and report is prepared much later
2. Online CBT is computer based testing with the use of online assessment software. It can be used anytime, anywhere and is auto generated.
CBT evaluation has five methods which include:
1. Selecting multiple choices
2. Supplying: where students type in short answers and responses.
3. Ordering / Ranking: where students order to rank a list of items in a correct or preferred sequence.
4. Matching: here students identify linkages between two lists of items
5. Locating: Where students identify something from a large form.
CBT is beneficial for improving students’ performance and credibility to obtain in such exams because marking is more accurate, consistent and human error is reduced.