Cognitive differences refer to the differences that exist in the IQ of learners. These differences may include varying memory capacity, orientation, and attention span. People who possess cognitive differences tend to take more time when completing academic tasks and find difficulty in concentrating than learners who have a typical cognitive function.
Difference Between Male and Female Cognitive Abilities
Gender differences are present in cognitive abilities. There are many debates concerning whether males or females have better cognitive abilities. Many studies prove that estrogen and testosterone have an impact on cognitive functions. These are the factors that characterize the differences between male and female cognitive abilities.
When it comes to verbal fluency, studies have shown that females tend to be more fluent than males.
Females also tend to have fresher perceptions of things than males.
When it comes to motor skills, women are again reported to perform their male counterparts.
Spatial Working Memory
Males perform better in spatial working memory than females.
Males also have better mathematical abilities than females as is reported by various studies.
Importance of Gender Difference
- It has also been reported that females may witness varying mental skills during their menstrual cycles.
- During this time, females may have better mental skills because of the estrogen’s bioavailability.
- In a co-educational school, both girls and boys will be present in the class, and those form the gender diversity seen inside the classroom.
- Cognitive differences will enable students to learn from each other and have compassion for one another’s gender.
- For a teacher to teach effectively and for students to work as a team, understanding each other in every aspect is essential.
- This will lead to healthy relationships among the classmates and a good atmosphere in the classroom.