Back to: Learning and Teaching – Unit 4
Reflective teaching is a process where teachers look back at their teaching practices and find ways how their teaching methods can be improved or changed for the better learning of students. They could find out by looking at how well students are answering in class and the results of the tests. A teacher reflects on their teaching process to learn about their practice and think if it’s working for the students’ learning process. By self-observation and self-evaluation, teachers can improve their teaching techniques. Through reflecting on one’s teaching style, teachers will be good at their job and provide an effective learning experience for the students.
Characteristics of Reflective Teaching
The characteristics of reflective teaching are as follows:
1. The ability to reflect upon one’s teaching practice and identify the strengths and weaknesses from it.
2. Focusing on self-improvement for better teaching practices as well as for professional growth.
3. It is based on the teacher’s self-observation and self-evaluation of their teaching methods.
4. Open-mindedness towards one’s teaching practices and willingness to improve for the best.
Importance of Reflective Teaching
The importance of reflective teaching are as mentioned below:
1. Reflective teaching helps the teachers in understanding their performance and improving it for the better future of the students.
2. Reflective teaching leads to innovative methods and techniques of teaching by the educator. It allows teachers to find innovative ways to make the class activities interesting and fun for the students. This way students will receive satisfying class lessons.
3. Reflective teaching also helps in the improvement of the teacher’s problem-solving skills. They will be able to come up with new techniques and strategies to make the learning process easy and simple for the students to understand.
4. Reflective teaching allows the teacher to be responsible towards his/her duty and take the student’s future seriously.
Approaches of Reflective Teaching
The approaches of reflective teaching are the following:
- Self-reflection and self-assessment.
- Request for student and peer feedback
- Recording class lessons of self for observation.
- Use innovative teaching methods and techniques.
- Come up with new teaching techniques and strategies.
- Build a good relationship with the students.
Reflective teaching is an important concept. It can help a teacher largely in the way he/she functions in the classroom. Reflective teaching allows us to know what works best for the interest of the students. This will lead to both effective teaching and the learning process.