ICT general abbreviations and terminology UGC NET
ICT General Abbreviations:
1. AGP: Accelerated Graphic Port
2. ALU: Arithmetic and Logical Unit
3. BIOS: Basic Input and Output System: It controls the computer and tells us about theoperations to be performed on the System. The instructions are embedded on a chip connected to the Motherboard.
4. CPU:. Central Processing Unit of the Computer. It is the brain of the computer.
5. DOS: Disk Operating System
6. EPROM: Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory
7. EDP: Electronic Data Processing
8. HDD: Hard Disk Drive
9. GUI: Graphic User Interface
10. ICT: Information and Communication Technology
11. LAN: Local Area Network
12. MAC – The common abbreviation used for a type of personal Computer Macintosh made by the Apple Computer Company.
13. OS – Operating System. It is the main program that runs on the computer and begins automatically when the computer is turned on.
14. PCI: Peripheral Component Interconnect
15. PC – Personal Computer
16. PDF – Portable Document Format
17. RAM – Random Access Memory
18. ROM – Read Only Memory. ROM is a non-volatile and cannot be altered.
19. UNIVAC: Universal Automatic Computer
20. USB: Universal Serial Board
21. URL: Uniform Resource Locator
22. VGA: Visual Graphic Adaptor
23. WAN: Wide Area Network
1. Application: A computer software that helps one perform a specific task
2. Algorithm: A set of solutions for a given problem.
3. Browser: It provides access to web pages.
4. BYTE – Byte is known as the Storage unit of data.
5. Bit: The smallest unit of information in a computer system.
6. Extended Memory: Memory used in addition to conventional memory
7. Intranet: It is a private corporate network using Internet technology-based software and TCP/IP protocol standards
8. Macro: A symbol or key representing a list of commands, actions, or keystrokes
9. Microprocessor: A single chip containing all the elements of a computer’s CPU.
10. Protocol: A formal list of specifications defining procedures to follow for transmission and receiver of data.