What are the Principles and Features of Effective Communication?
According to R.W. Griffin,
“Effective communication is the process of sending a message in such a way that the message received is as close in meaning as possible to the message intended.”
Effective communication can be regarded as the process of exchanging ideas, thoughts, opinions, knowledge, and data so that the message is exchanged, received, and understood effectively with clarity and purpose. Communication is considered to be effective when we know what we are trying to communicate and the audience is understanding exactly what we are trying to express.
Features of Effective Communication
1. Two-Way Process: Communication must involve at least two people because it is essentially an exchange of ideas.
2. Uses Different Methods: It uses oral and speech communication, written and graphical representations as sources of exchanging information.
3. Pervasive: It is pervasive in nature because it is used as a means of exchanging information all around the world.
4. Interpersonal: It is a process of sharing knowledge, data, and information from one individual to another or group of people.
5. Continuous: Communication never stops, it is a never-ending process.
Principles of Effective Communication
There are 7 essential principles of effective communication which are as follows:
1. Comprehensive: The information exchanged must be complete, adequate, and comprehensible.
2. Clarity: The message conveyed should be clear and should not leave the receiver feeling confused.
3. Coherent: Communication must be well planned and logical.
4. Timeliness: Communication should reach the intended receiver at a proper time.
5. Feedback: To ensure the effectiveness of communication, getting feedback is necessary.
6. Attention and Style: Paying attention to the context, an appropriate style of communication must be adopted.
7. Effective: Communication, regardless of the type, should have a clear objective and purpose.
Keith Davis states,
“Communication is a process of passing information and understanding from one person to another.”
In order to get the message across, one must be highly effective in communication skills.