There are different characteristics that define the meaning of growth and development in physical education. These characteristics are as follows:
Characteristics of Growth:
- Growth defines the change in the physical factors of a child including height, weight, mass and physical development.
- Growth can be measured as it is quantitative.
- Growth can be perceived through eyes and senses.
- Growth does not take place in continuous manner.
- Growth is uniform in physical sense such as the milk teeth growth, toddling then walking, etc.
- Growth takes place till the limited period.
- Growth rate is faster in the initial years than the later stages.
- Food, the amount of nutrition, health and fitness influence the mental as well as physical growth.
- Mental health cannot be perceived through senses rather than the physical growth.
- Various factors such as heredity, environment, social relationship and the motivation affects the growth rate.
Characteristics of Development:
- Development is the overall growth of a person with regards to mental, social, physical and psychological level.
- Development cannot be measured.
- Development has a set pattern but it can vary as it can be on different rate as per the individual.
- Development goes from general to specific.
- Development is a life-long process so it is continuous in nature.
- Development is an umbrella term which can hold every aspect including social to psychological.
- Development is more complex and comprehensive term than growth.
- The process of development is interrelated to many factors.
- Development denotes the qualitative changes.
- Development goes from concrete to abstract.
Apart from characteristics of Growth and Development you can also enhance your understanding on growth and development in other parameters by referring to the links provided below :