There are different characteristics that define the meaning of growth and development. These characteristics are as follows:
Characteristics of Growth:
- Growth defines the change in the physical factors of a child including height, weight, mass and physical development.
- Growth can be measured as it is quantitative.
- Growth can be perceived through eyes and senses.
- Growth does not take place in continuous manner.
- Growth is uniform in physical sense such as the milk teeth growth, toddling then walking, etc.
- Growth takes place till the limited period.
- Growth rate is faster in the initial years than the later stages.
- Food, the amount of nutrition, health and fitness influence the mental as well as physical growth.
- Mental health cannot be perceived through senses rather than the physical growth.
- Various factors such as heredity, environment, social relationship and the motivation affects the growth rate.
Characteristics of Development:
- Development is the overall growth of a person with regards to mental, social, physical and psychological level.
- Development cannot be measured.
- Development has a set pattern but it can vary as it can be on different rate as per the individual.
- Development goes from general to specific.
- Development is a life-long process so it is continuous in nature.
- Development is an umbrella term which can hold every aspect including social to psychological.
- Development is more complex and comprehensive term than growth.
- The process of development is interrelated to many factors.
- Development denotes the qualitative changes.
- Development goes from concrete to abstract.