Who was Paulo Freire and was the purpose of education according to him? Paulo Freire was a Brazilian philosopher and educator born on 19 September, 1921. He wrote the book called “Pedagogy of the Oppressed'' in 1968 which has been of great influence in progressive education. Freire believed that education helped create critical awareness which he felt was necessary for social change. Purpose of education
- Paulo Freire viewed education as an activity of freedom.
- He believed that one could develop and keep developing through education.
- His perspective was that education should help one in using their full potential and being powerful for themselves.
- He used the term “Banking system education” to describe the traditional education system.
- It related to the teachers only passing on information and facts to empty minds of students which was similar to the functioning ways of a bank account.
Please login or Register to submit your answer