Piaget believed that there were four main stages of cognitive development namely, the sensorimotor stage, the preoperational stage, the concrete operational stage, and the formal operational stage. The preoperational stage begins at 2 years old and lasts till 6/7 years old. The characteristics of preoperational stage are as follows:
- In this stage, the child begins to represent the world in a symbolic manner. They begin to realize that words and objects are symbolic.
- The child begins to use language and symbols. They start understanding the environment around them.
- The child becomes capable of more complex mental representations.
- In this stage, children start using logical thoughts and start imagining things.
- Preoperational stage is a stage of egocentrism where the child thinks only of themselves.
Please login or Register to submit your answer