According to Piaget, there are four main stages of cognitive development namely, the sensorimotor stage, the preoperational stage, the concrete operational stage, and the formal operational stage. The concrete operational stage begins at 7 years old and lasts till 11/12 years of age. The characteristics of the concrete operational stage are as follows:
- In this stage, the child starts learning about conservation which means that the quantity of a thing remains the same even when you change its shape or size.
- Children also develop decentration during this stage which means the ability to pay attention to more than one aspect of a situation or a thing.
- Children also learn reversibility which means that something can be restored to its original state.
- Children start developing the ability to perform mental operations and start solving problems in their mind.
- During the concrete operational stage, children’s operations are limited to real events and tangible objects.
Please login or Register to submit your answer