- Educational Institution: Formal education takes place routinely in an academic institution such as a school or college.
- Graded: Formal education takes place grade-wise. After every academic session, learners are promoted to a new grade if they perform well.
- Structured: Formal education follows a structured schedule that takes place every weekday. According to this, the teaching-learning process is administered.
- Absence of Formal Institution: In non-formal education, there is no presence of a formal institution or system such as a school or college.
- Short term: Unlike formal education, the learning in non-formal education takes place on a short-term basis.
- Individual centered: In non-formal education, the learning can be centered and focused on an individual. Their learning capacity is taken into account and education is administered accordingly.