Merits of Structural Approach
- It imparts the knowledge of structures in English to facilitate language learning.
- Students can gain mastery of over 275 basic vocabularies and structures by the time they finish school.
- The child learns word order, use of words, and grammar automatically after learning the structure of sentences.
- It is called ‘English through play way’ because it encourages learners to use English every day.
- It focuses on the basic four language skills – learning, writing, speaking, and reading.
Demerits of Structural Approach
- The problem of teaching English is not solved by the selection and gradation of structures because it only helps the teacher to learn what is taught and what to teach next.
- The continuous teaching of structures can make the class dull, mechanical, and monotonous.
- It may be more suitable for junior classes but not applicable for higher classes with many branches of the English language.
- This approach follows a rigid methodology.
- It is time-consuming and completing the syllabus may be difficult.
Please login or Register to submit your answer