Social interaction helps in the process of knowledge construction in the following ways:
- Conflict Resolution: In a classroom environment, conflicts between learners are inevitable. Social mediation by the instructor is helpful because it helps resolve these conflicts.
- Promotes Harmony: A classroom where learners are constantly fighting one another is unhealthy. A proper classroom is characterized by peace and harmony which is promoted by social mediation so that construction of knowledge can occur.
- Encourages Mutual Respect: Mutual respect is important among learners. Teachers need to mediate and encourage learners to develop respect for another and foster knowledge construction.
- Encourages Diversity: Educational institutions are becoming diverse and this leads instructors to mediate and encourage learners to appreciate people from every community. This provides room for better construction of knowledge.
- Reduces Discrimination: When there is diversity, discrimination can occur in the classroom which can be avoided through social mediation by the teacher. It encourages the enhancement of knowledge construction.