Concept and Importance of Measurement, Assessment and Evaluation in Education
Assessment refers to the process of collecting information that reflects the performance of a student, school, classroom, or an academic system based on a set of standards, learning criteria, or curricula. Measurement refers to a process through which a learning phenomena, context, or experience is translated into a set of numerical variables that are representative.
Concept of Measurement, Assessment and Evaluation
- 1. Evaluation involves all the tasks of education and not merely tests, measurements, and examination. It goes beyond these things and although it depends on measurement, the two terms are not synonymous.
- 2. Measurement explains a situation and evaluations describes the judgment of its worth and value.
- 3. Without evaluation, measurement is quite meaningless because evaluation adds a little significance to it.
- 4. Evaluation is a process which is continuous as well as comprehensive and measurement is a quantitative assessment of instructional outcomes.
- 5. Measurement makes a quantitative determination of an individual’s performance and evaluation makes a qualitative determination of the individual’s performance.
- 6. Assessment is the process in which a student’s academic process is evaluated through qualitative and quantitative information collected by the teacher.
Importance of measurement, assessment and evaluation
The importance of measurement assessment and evaluation is as follows:
- 1. It offers learners with an understanding of the role of assessment and evaluation in the instructional process.
- 2. The standardized tests involved in the process of measurement assessment and evaluation enables the students to make better use of the data available in the daily classroom.
- 3. Measurement assessment and evaluation also helps the teachers to determine the learning progress of the students. Without measuring and evaluating their performance, teachers will not be able to determine how much the students have learned.
- 4. The basic purpose of both measurement assessment and evaluation is to determine the needs of all the learners.
- 5. Measurement assessment and evaluation also enables educators to measure the skills, knowledge, beliefs, and attitude of the learners.
- 6. Assessment plays a vital role in evaluating the students’ academic as well as interest and motivational values.
These are the wide variety of factors that contribute to the factors and importance of the learners.