Back to: Pedagogy of English – Unit 3
The communicative approach in teaching English comes from the view that a language is successfully learned when learners have to communicate real meaning. When the learners are involved in real communication, they can use their natural strategies for language acquisition and this encourages them to learn to use the language naturally.
The main principles of the communicative approach in teaching English are as follows.
- The target language is used to communicate for language learning.
- The learner must be able to differentiate between a formal and informal style.
- The activities performed should have a communicative purpose.
- Learners must be exposed to and interact constantly in the target language.
- The development of the four skills, listening, speaking, reading, and writing must be incorporated from the very beginning.
- The topics being taught must suit the needs and interests of learners.
- The teacher acts as a guide and a facilitator or instructor.
Advantages of Communicative Approach
This approach is learner-oriented as it takes the interests and needs of the learners into account.
This approach aims to personalize the language so that learners can adapt to its use more effectively.
This approach also aims to localize language learning so that learners can learn to use it naturally. It emphasizes meaningful language learning.
Uses Authentic Resources
This approach also makes use of authentic teaching resources that motivate and encourage the learners.
It is an efficient and proficient approach that encourages children to learn grammar to speak well.
Disadvantages of Communicative Approach
Lack Of Context
The context of the learning and teaching atmosphere is not taken into account.
The approach is often interpreted as “if the teacher understands the student we have good communication” but native speakers may not understand them.
Lack of Accuracy
The main focus of the approach is on fluency rather than language accuracy.
Lack of Errors Reduction
The approach does not focus much on removing the errors of the learners.
Since their errors aren’t corrected, learners are likely to produce incorrect grammatical sentences.
The communicative approach to teaching English is used worldwide. It is easier to incorporate it in a class with few students and with trainer teachers, this strength can increase.